Friday, March 2, 2012

Last hurrah - The Grand Palace

Before we took off and leave for Manila today, I know I just had to show Roshie at least one place in Bangkok as she hasn't see any of those spots all these days and our free day was spent mostly for Ethan's liking. Early in the morning we had breakfast for the last time at Café@2 before going to our next destination.

Where else could I bring her to at least have a taste of Thailand culture and enjoy the beauty of its architecture but at the Grand Palace? The Grand Palace has been home to royalties of Thailand (or Siam back then) from 1782-1925. Today the palace is made up of a number of buildings and halls that were built by the different kings that lived in the palace throughout the period.

Entrance to the palace is at THB400 per person for non-Thai citizens. Thai citizens allegedly get in for free. Upon entering the gate, one will be mesmerized by the beautiful architectures of the different buildings and structures built on the palace grounds.
Phra Sri Rattana Chedi
me and Ethan



Angkor Wat model
 Phra Mondop
Javanese Buddha
 Kinnon, a mythological creature of half-bird and half-man
guardian statues

Inside the palace grounds is Wat Phra Kaew or The Temple of the Emerald Buddha. It is actually considered as a royal chapel.

gate to inner palace

Phra Thinang Chakri Maha Prasat or the throne hall


Roshie and Ethan
troops lined up 

Ethan watching the troop parade

parade of troops

Roshie and Ethan

We didn't stay that long as we have a flight to catch and I know traffic will be worse going back. After reaching the hotel, we checked out stuffs last minute to make sure they were all packed well before checking out and leave for the airport.

We had our quick lunch at the airport - burgers, chicken nuggets and fries at Burger King.

Ethan eating fries

We waited at the gate for some time and later on, it's boarding time. Yey Manila-bound at last! We arrived in Manila around 6:20PM tonight..

food served in-flight 

Roshie and Ethan were so tired that as soon as we were picked up from the airport on the way home, they both fell asleep in the car. This also ends Roshie's leave from work as she has to be back for duty by next week. As for me, I'm sure I'll be back in the city soon and hopeful that next time, there will be new things in store for me.

No comments: